E3SM (Energy Exascale Earth System Model)
Deputy Lead, Performance Group: Performance engineering and optimization efforts on leadership class supercomputers.
Exascale Computing Project (ECP)
Design and development of E3SM (Energy Exascale Earth System Model) Multiscale Modeling Framework (MMF) and XGC (Fusion) targeted towards next generation supercomputers like Summit at ORNL.
Lead co-design activities in collaboration with interested software groups and compute vendors.
Oxbow: Performance Analytics for Exascale Co-design
Architected a data analytics platform for exascale application characterization called Performance Analytics Data Store (PADS) using MongoDB.
Design and development of a visual analytics portal for data exploration and analysis.
Exploring machine learning techniques for novel insights into experiment data.
SUPER: Institute for Sustained Performance, Energy and Resilience
Communication characterization and optimization of large scale scientific applications, Fusion (XGC) and Climate (CESM).
Development and performance optimization of techniques for mapping processes to processor cores at runtime so as to minimize communication overhead by taking advantage of network topology.
SUPER-EFRC (Energy Frontier Research Center) Pilot
Optimization of WastePD applications and workflow.
CESAR: Center for Exascale Simulation of Advanced Reactors
Characterization and validation of various proxy apps from the co-design centers.
Deputy Lead, E3SM Performance group, DOE BER, $30M/year.
Co-PI, Land Model Testbed, ORNL LDRD project, $335k/year
Senior Personnel, ECP, E3SM-MMF sub-project, DOE ASCR, ORNL - $450k/year.
Co-PI, NSF project: Cyber-Enabled Water and Energy Systems Sustainability Utilizing Climate Information, $1.2M.
Elected to OLCF User Group Executive Board.
ORNL Significant Event Award for E3SM v1.0 release, 2018
Awarded Gold medal in the ACM Graduate Student Research Competition at Supercomputing 2012 conference.
Member, ORNL Computer Science and Mathematics Division Interview Committee.
Member, ORNL Software Council.
Program Committee, International Conference of Parallel Processing (ICPP) 2019.
Technical Program Committee, Supercomputing conference, 2017.
Program Committee, Seventh Workshop on Data Mining in Earth System Science, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining 2017.
Co-convener, Eighth Workshop on Data Mining in Earth System Science, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining 2018.
Program Committee, Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) 2015, 2016.
Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing (CBDCom) 2015,2016.
Mentor NASA Entry, Descent and Landing (EDL) team during ORNL/NASA hackathon 2017.
Review Editor, Editorial Board of ‘Data-driven Climate Sciences' of Frontiers in Big Data journal.
Reviewer, DOE SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) proposals.
Reviewer, Parallel Computing Journal.
Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computing.
Reviewer, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing.
Reviewer, Journal of Computers and Geosciences.
Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering.
Reviewer, Journal of Water and Climate Change.
Reviewer, Journal of Environmental Modelling and Software.
Reviewer, Journal of Applied Soft Computing.
Reviewer, Journal of Open Source Software.
High Performance Computing, Data/Performance Analytics, Exascale Co-design, Optimization Algorithms, Computational Intelligence, Parallel I/O, Performance Analysis and Optimization.
MODELING DOMAINS: Water Distribution Systems, Groundwater, Energy Economy Optimization.
- Kevin Hunter, Sarat Sreepathi, Joseph F. DeCarolis, Modeling for insight using Tools for Energy Model Optimization and Analysis (Temoa), Energy Economics, Volume 40, November 2013, Pages 339-349, ISSN 0140-9883.
- Joseph DeCarolis, Kevin Hunter and Sarat Sreepathi, The Case for Repeatable Analysis with Energy Economy Optimization Models, Energy Economics, Volume 34, Issue 6, November 2012, Pages 1845–1853.
- Jacqueline Chame, Chun Chen, Mary Hall, Jeffrey K. Hollingsworth, Kumar Mahinthakumar, Gabriel Marin, Shreyas Ramalingam, Sarat Sreepathi, Vamsi Sripathi, Ananta Tiwari, PERI Autotuning of PFLOTRAN, In Journal of Physics, Proceedings of SciDAC July 2011.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Kumar Mahinthakumar, Emily Zechman, Ranji Ranjithan, Downey Brill, Xiaosong Ma, and Gregor von Laszewski, Cyberinfrastructure for Contamination Source Characterization in Water Distribution systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 4487/2007 (International Conference on Computational Science (1) 2007: 1058-1065)
- G. Mahinthakumar, G. von Laszewski, S. Ranjithan, E. D. Brill, J. Uber, K. W. Harrison, S. Sreepathi, and E. M. Zechman, An Adaptive Cyberinfrastructure for Threat Management in Urban Water Distribution Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp. 401-408, 2006.( International Conference on Computational Science (3) 2006: 401-408)
- P. Worley, J. Candy, L. Carrington, K. Huck, T. Kaiser, G. Mahinthakumar, A. Maloney, S. Moore, D. Reed, P. Roth, H. Shan, S. Shende, A. Snavely, S. Sreepathi, F. Wolf, and Y. Zhang, Performance Analysis of GYRO: A Tool Evaluation, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 16 (2005), pp. 551-555. (Proceedings of the 2005 SciDAC Conference, San Francisco, CA, June 26-30, 2005.)
- Richard Mills, Vamsi Sripathi, Jitendra Kumar, Sarat Sreepathi, Forrest Hoffman, and William Hargrove, “Parallel k-means Clustering of Geospatial Data Sets Using Manycore CPU Architectures”, Eighth DMESS Workshop, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM'18), November 17, 2018. 10.1109/ICDMW.2018.00118
- Sarat Sreepathi, Jitendra Kumar, Richard T. Mills, Forrest M. Hoffman, Vamsi Sripathi, William W. Hargrove, Parallel Multivariate Spatio-Temporal Clustering of Large Ecological Datasets on Hybrid Supercomputers , IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing (CLUSTER), Sept 5-8, 2017. DOI: 10.1109/CLUSTER.2017.88
- Philip C. Roth, Hongzhang Shan, David Riegner, Nikolas Antolin, Sarat Sreepathi , Leonid Oliker, Samuel Williams, Shirley Moore, and Wolfgang Windl. Performance Analysis and Optimization of the RAMPAGE Metal Alloy Potential Generation Software, In Proceedings of 4th ACM SIGPLAN International Workshop on Software Engineering for Parallel Systems (SEPS’17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 10 pages. DOI: 10.1145/3141865.3141868
- Sarat Sreepathi, Ed D’Azevedo, Bobby Philip, and Patrick Worley, Communication Characterization and Optimization of Applications Using Topology-Aware Task Mapping on Large Supercomputers, In Proceedings of the ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE). ACM, March 12-18, 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2851553.2851575
- M.L. Grodowitz, Sarat Sreepathi,Hierarchical Clustering and K-means Analysis of HPC Application Kernels Performance Characteristics, Nineteenth Annual IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC ‘15), Waltham, MA, September 15-17,2015. DOI: 10.1109/HPEC.2015.7322484
- Sarat Sreepathi, Megan Grodowitz, Robert Lim, Philip Taffet, Philip Roth, Jeremy Meredith, Seyong Lee, Dong Li, and Jeffrey Vetter, Application Characterization using Oxbow Toolkit and PADS Infrastructure, First International Workshop on Hardware-Software Co-Design for High Performance Computing (Co-HPC 2014), In conjunction with SC’14, November 17, 2014, New Orleans, LA.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Vamsi Sripathi, Richard Mills, Glenn Hammond, G. Kumar Mahinthakumar, SCORPIO: A Scalable Two-Phase Parallel I/O Library With Application to a Large Scale Subsurface Simulator, IEEE Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC) 2013, Bengaluru, India.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Downey Brill, Ranji Ranjithan and Gnanamanikam Mahinthakumar, Parallel Multi-Swarm Optimization Framework for Search Problems in Water Distribution Systems , Proceedings of World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2012, Albuquerque, NM.
- Joseph DeCarolis, Kevin Hunter and Sarat Sreepathi, The TEMOA Project: Tools for Energy Model Optimization and Analysis, International Energy Workshop 2010, Stockholm, Sweden, June 21-23, 2010.
- Jitendra Kumar, Sarat Sreepathi, Downey Brill, G. Kumar Mahinthakumar, S. Ranjithan,
Detection of leaks in water distribution systems using routine water quality
measurements , Proceedings of World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2010, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Conference Talks and Posters
- Sarat Sreepathi, Zachary Mitchell and Gaurab KC, Performance Analytics for Computational Experiments (PACE), http://meetings.siam.org/sess/dsp_talk.cfm?p=97428, SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE19), February 25 - March 1, 2019, Spokane, Washington, USA.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Phil Jones and Mark Taylor, E3SM Co-Design: Pathfinding and Evaluation of ARM Ecosystem, https://ams.confex.com/ams/2019Annual/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/354951, Fifth Symposium on High Performance Computing for Weather, Water, and Climate, 99th Annual Meteorological Society (AMS) Annual Meeting, 6–10 January 2019, Phoenix, USA.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Jitendra Kumar, Forrest Hoffman, Richard Mills, Vamsi Sripathi, William Hargrove, EarthInsights: Parallel Clustering of Large Earth Science Datasets on the Summit Supercomputer (Invited), Big Data in the Geosciences: New Analytics Methods and Parallel Algorithms, AGU Fall Meeting, December 10-15, 2018.
- Matt Norman, Sarat Sreepathi, Anikesh Pal, Walter Hannah, and Mark Taylor. 2018. E3SM-MMF: Cloud Resolving Model Development on Heterogeneous Supercomputers. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.6262097.v2, Poster at E3SM Phase 2 2018 SFA Reverse Site Review, Gaithersburg, MD, May 14-16,2018.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Matt Norman, Anikesh Pal, Walter Hannah, Carl Ponder and Mark Taylor, E3SM-MMF: Development of a Cloud Resolving Model for Heterogeneous Supercomputers, Poster at 2nd Annual ECP Meeting, Knoxville, TN, February 6-8, 2018.
- E3SM Project and Sarat Sreepathi. 2018. Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM). DOI: https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.6253895.v1, Poster, ORNL Software Expo, May 15-17, 2018.
- Sarat Sreepathi,Matthew Norman, Anikesh Pal, Walter Hannah and Carl Ponder, Development of a cloud resolving model for heterogeneous supercomputers , American Geophysical Union Fall 2017 Meeting, New Orleans, Dec 11-15, 2017.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Optimus: A Parallel Optimization Framework With Topology Aware PSO and Applications ( Poster ), ACM Student Research Competition (SRC) Poster at SC '12 : 2012 International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, Salt Lake City, UT, November 10-16, 2012. (Won Gold medal)
- Sarat Sreepathi and G.Kumar Mahinthakumar, Optimus: A Scalable Parallel Metaheuristic Optimization Framework With Topology Aware PSO and Applications, Talk at Swarmfest, Charlotte, NC, July 29-30, 2012.
- Sarat Sreepathi and G.Kumar Mahinthakumar, Parallel Metaheuristic Optimization Framework for Population-Based Search Algorithms with Environmental Applications, Lecture at SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, Savannah, GA, February 15-17, 2012.
- Richard T. Mills, Sarat Sreepathi, Vamsi Sripathi, Kumar G. Mahinthakumar, Glenn Hammond, Peter Lichtner, Barry F. Smith, Jitendra Kumar, and Gautam Bisht. Engineering the PFLOTRAN subsurface flow and reactive transport code for scalable performance on leadership-class supercomputers, 15th SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, Savannah, Georgia, February 15-17, 2012 .
- Joseph DeCarolis, Kevin Hunter and Sarat Sreepathi, Multi-stage stochastic optimization of a simple energy system, International Energy Workshop 2012, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Vamsi Sripathi, Glenn Hammond, Richard Mills, and G. Kumar Mahinthakumar. Poster: A Scalable Two-Phase Parallel I/O Library with Application to a Large Scale Subsurface Simulator, In Proceedings of the 2011 companion on High Performance Computing Networking, Storage and Analysis Companion (SC '11 Companion). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 67-68.
- Sarat Sreepathi and G. Kumar Mahinthakumar, Poster: Parallel Multi-Swarm Optimization Framework for Search Problems in Water Distribution Systems, EAP Workshop at Supercomputing 2011 Conference.
- Joe DeCarolis, Kevin Hunter, Sarat Sreepathi, Designing Robust Hedging Strategies for U.S. Electric Sector Planning Under an Uncertain Climate Policy , USAEE/IAEE (International Association for Energy Economics) Conference Calgary, Canada October, 2010.
- Sarat Sreepathi, Simulation-Optimization for Threat Management in Urban Water Systems , Application Driven Design for a Large-Scale, Multi-Purpose Grid Infrastructure, Demo at Fall 2006 Internet2 Meeting, Chicago, IL, December 2006.
- Patrick Worley, Jeff Candy, Laura Carrington, Kevin Huck, Tim Kaiser, Kumar Mahinthakumar, Allen Malony, Dan Reed, Philip Roth, Hongzhang Shan, Sameer Shende, Allan Snavely, Sarat Sreepathi, Ying Zhang, Tools or No tools?: A parallel performance analysis case study (extended abstract), Poster Presentation at Supercomputing 2006.